Blazing the Freelance Trail
Professional Practices for Creative Entrepreneurs
From the very first step down the freelance path, you’ve already made a few key choices about which trail to follow. But without a map you might not end up where you intended.
Blazing the Freelance Trail is the guide for creative professionals. And if you’re already lost in the creative startup woods, it can lead you back to the trailhead and point you back in the right direction.
- Figure out how to charge what you’re worth.
- Develop effective time management strategies that won’t kill your creative flow.
- Understand the relationship between sales and marketing and how to optimize both.
- Decide when to hire and how to do it.
- Expand your perspective on creative motivation and the meaning of your work.
- Get the tools you need to effectively market.
- Get a handle on your finances including setting your rates, tracking cash flow, and calculating profits.
- Understand the business side of making money with art so you can worry less and create more.
“The day Eric took me on as an intern was one of the most important and memorable of my life. That began a 13-year professional relationship. I started as the greenest of greens and ended as a confident, competent, eager, and hopeful business owner. Eric taught me through his wonderful, calm, consistent, and persistent example—giving me enough rope to learn from my mistakes. He’s an exceptional mentor and incredibly generous and caring in his approach to helping others elevate their game.”
MARK O’BRIEN, CEO, NEWFANGLED.
“The barrier to entry into this world of creative entrepreneurship is so low that lot of people struggle with the business side of success. It’s such a relief to see a solid source of insight from someone who has walked that path and learned what works and what doesn’t.”
DAVID C. BAKER, AUTHOR, SPEAKER, AND ADVISOR TO ENTREPRENEURIAL EXPERTS.